This month we celebrate Rimu Marketing’s 5th birthday! Over the last few years we have been on quite a journey, to take us from our humble beginnings; to more recently working with an amazing selection of businesses including: an IT company, a Boutique Hotel, Coaches, Interior Designers, Health businesses and even a Canine Dog Massage Therapist.
We have loved working with our clients on a broad range of projects including: strategy work, building websites, copy writing, email marketing, social media and everything in between. The team has grown over the last 5 years to include some talented associates without whom I could not do what I do; I was thrilled to recently be nominated and awarded as “Business Girl of the Year” by a local network group “The Business Girls Network” and I recently passed my ILM Level 3 coaching qualification.
This month to mark our key business milestone we wanted to share a range of tips with you, starting in today’s blog, where I would like to share 5 tips I would have told my earlier self on how to build and grow the business:
- Network, Network, Network. One of the best pieces of advice I was given when I started out was to fill my diary with network events – get out there and start to talk about your business. I did and to my surprise I really enjoyed it. It can be lonely working for yourself so to meet and speak with people helps keep you full of energy and enthusiasm.
- Walk the walk. It took me until the August (after setting up in the April) to realise that I was giving my clients all of this great advice, but not implementing it myself. If you work in a service industry then live by what you recommend.
- Keep going. There will be good times and bad times, keep going, if you believe in what you are doing then it will eventually come good.
- Build your team. As soon as you can buy in associates or build your team to help fill your skills gap, working in a team for me is much more fun.
- Have fun. There is generally a driving force for you to set up by yourself, it could be through redundancy, family commitments or health reasons. Whatever it is be realistic about what is achievable and take time to enjoy your business.
To mark this important achievement, we are having a birthday celebration network event on Thursday 25th April in aid of a local charity: Smart Works Reading. We have three great speakers lined up, there will be networking, bubbles and of course cake! CLICK HERE to join us, we look forward to seeing you there!